To recognize high school graduating students, the Newfoundland and Labrador Education Foundation has established a scholarship awards program. The recipients of these prestigious awards will be known as Newfoundland and Labrador English School District Scholars. Twenty-seven students, ideally eleven from the Eastern region, six from the Central region, five from Western region, three from the Labrador region and two at large, will receive this distinction.
MINIMUM ELIGIBILTY REQUIREMENTS
- Awarded to full-time students in the year they graduate from high school in the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District.
- Awarded to students who have attained graduation status.
- Awarded to students who have demonstrated involvement at the school and community levels. (Addressed in Letters of Support and Letter of Recommendation).
- Awarded to students who have been officially accepted to a recognized post-secondary institution for the following year. (University, Public or Private College, Trades College).
- Each scholarship will be established at $1000.
- The scholarship must be taken within one year after it is awarded.
MINIMUM CRITERIA WEIGHTINGS (100 POINTS)
- Average based on requirements for graduation from high school (50 points)
(60%-69% - 30 points, 70%-79% - 35 points, 80%-89% - 40 points, 90%-95% - 45 points, 96%-100% - (46, 47, 48, 49, 50)
- School and Community Involvement (Addressed in Letters of Support and Letter of Recommendation) (20 points)
(Examples: student council, team participation, peer counsellor, volunteer in community, church, youth participation, scouts, guides, etc.)
- Student Essay based on provided questions (30 points)
- Each applicant must apply in writing to the Foundation and include:
- Completed application form;
- An essay providing responses to 2 of 4 questions chosen by the NLEF Committee up to a maximum of 500 words.
- Two letters of support from group(s) or individual(s) who can confirm the student's school and community involvement; and,
- A letter of recommendation outlining student's contribution to school and any known community involvement from a teacher or school administrator. (This is a separate letter from the two support letters).
- Applications are to be submitted (received or postmarked) no later than June 29, 2018 to:
Newfoundland and Labrador Education Foundation, Inc.
95 Elizabeth Avenue St. John's, NL
LEGEND: View Story Attatchment External Link Other Doc Form Presentation