To recognize scholastic excellence, school leadership and community involvement, the Newfoundland and Labrador Education Foundation has established a scholarship awards program. The recipients of these prestigious awards will be known as Newfoundland and Labrador English School District Scholars. Twenty-seven students, ideally eleven from the Eastern region, six from the Central region, five from Western region, three from the Labrador region and two at large, will receive this distinction. The Newfoundland and Labrador English School District Scholars will be students who demonstrate outstanding school or community leadership and involvement in addition to academic achievement.
MINIMUM ELIGIBILTY REQUIREMENTS
- Awarded to full-time students in the year they graduate from high school in the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District.
- Awarded to students who have attained an Honours graduation status.
- Awarded to students who have demonstrated leadership and involvement at the school and community levels.
- Awarded to students who have been officially accepted to a recognized post-secondary institution for the following year.
- Each scholarship will be established at $1000.
- The scholarship must be taken within one year after it is awarded.
MINIMUM CRITERIA WEIGHTINGS (100 POINTS)
- Memorial University Entrance Average (50 points)
- School Leadership (20 points)
(Examples: student council, team captain, peer counsellor, etc.)
- Community Leadership (10 points)
(Examples: volunteer in community, church, youth leader, etc.)
- 500 Word Essay (10 points)
- Demonstrated Need/Personal Perseverance (10 points)
(Addressed in Teacher/School Administrator Letter)
- Each applicant must apply in writing to the Foundation and include:
- Completed application form;
- An essay describing their school or community leadership and involvement, up to a maximum of 500 words;
- Two letters of support from group(s) or individual(s) who can confirm the student's leadership and community involvement; and,
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher or school administrator. (This is a separate letter from the two support letters) - Please address any demonstrated need/personal perseverance points within this support letter.
- Applications are to be submitted (received or postmarked) no later than June 23, 2017 to:
Newfoundland and Labrador Education Foundation, Inc.
95 Elizabeth Avenue St. John's, NL
LEGEND: View Story Attatchment External Link Other Doc Form Presentation