The District is committed to cooperating with the news media, however, we are also obligated to protect the privacy of our students and staff. With respect to all communications matters the District abides by its obligations under the Schools Act, 1997, the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act and other relevant legislation.
To help facilitate media requests, all media inquiries must be directed through the Director of Communications who will act as the official liaison and primary contact for media. This includes requests for interviews with senior staff, administrators, teachers or students, as well as for information on district or school policies and procedures.
Principals may exercise their own discretion to invite media to their school for school sanctioned events and must ensure proper procedures are followed, including informing the Communications Division. It is the responsibility of the school administrator to inform the Communications Division of the District about these events.
In consultation with the Director of Communications, administrators may grant media access and arrange interviews with staff and/or students for routine school events. Before any minor is photographed, videotaped or interviewed by the media, a media consent form must be signed by his/her legal guardian.
Interviews will not be conducted during school hours or on school property without the approval and presence of a District administrator or designate. Any member of the news media present at a school is required to adhere to the authority of the school administration and school rules, just as students and members of the public must. All school visits must be supervised by a member of the school administration or designate of.
- The Newfoundland and Labrador English School District will not release any information that may reveal a student's identity without appropriate consent.
- The Newfoundland and Labrador English School District will not release any personal or personnel-related information without appropriate consent.
- The Newfoundland and Labrador English School District will not comment on any case that is before the courts.
- In cases where the police are involved, and/or there is an ongoing police investigation, the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District will not provide comment. Questions related to police investigations shall be referred to the relevant police agency.
- The Newfoundland and Labrador English School District will not release the names of deceased students, teachers or staff out of respect for their families.
- Requests for information under the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act must be made through the District's ATIPP Coordinator. Information on submitting an access request can be found here: www.atipp.gov.nl.ca.
The CEO/Director of Education is the official spokesperson for the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District. The Director will address matters related to the operations of the District, general inquiries and/or critical incidents.
The Director may defer comments on specific matters to members of the District's professional staff such as an Assistant Director of Education, a school administrator or the Director of Communications, where deemed appropriate.
An employee of the Communications Division may be present during interviews which take place with the Chair, Director or other designated member of the District's professional staff.
Only those designated to speak on behalf of the District may address issues such as (but not limited to) policy, critical incidents, District/school activities and operations. Any such interview must be coordinated through the Communications Division.
Manager of Communications
Director of Communications