All schools in the Central Region will return to in-class instruction tomorrow (Thursday, May 27), as planned, following reassurance from Dr. Monika Dutt, Regional Medical Officer of Health for Central Health, that there is no need to alter school operations due to the recent cluster of COVID-19 cases in the area. This was already the case, as noted by Public Health officials earlier this week.
Tony Stack, CEO/Director of Education for the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District, said the decision earlier this week to suspend in-class instruction for two days was a proactive measure, beyond what Public Health had recommended, designed to monitor and prepare for any unforeseen operational issues which might occur.
As always, the focus for Public Health and school district officials has been to allow maximum in-class instruction for all students during the Covid-19 pandemic through enhanced health and safety measures implemented within the community and at the school level, said Mr. Stack. I recognize this has been a challenging time for people in the Central Region, and I thank students, staff and families for making this unanticipated adjustment over the past two days.